Tuesday, September 29, 2015

My New Courses

Hello and welcome to today's blog post! Today's topic is the two new courses that I just started today.

The first on that I want to discuss with you is my piano lessons from PianoNanny. It teaches you about playing the piano or, in my case, a keyboard. My hope is that, by the end of these lessons, I can actually play songs on my keyboard instead of just pressing random keys that I think sound good. The course begins by identifying all of the names of the white keys and the notes that they represent. There are a group of two black keys, and the leftmost white key of that group is C. If you read my last musical musings, you'd  be able to discern the other notes, black keys included. It goes on to teach you how to not trip over your own fingers, so to speak, by using the following exercise, then do it on the actual keyboard or piano.

Your pinky is Finger #5
Your thumb is Finger #1
Wiggle Finger #5
Wiggle Finger #1
Wiggle Finger #2
Wiggle Finger #3
Wiggle Finger #4
Then do it on the other hand!

My other new course is on the Ancient Greeks. I do have some background in their religion, because I am a believer in their stories and gods/goddesses. This class is taught by Wesleyan University through Coursera. It talks about different civilizations, such as the Minoan and the Mycenaean. The Mycenaean era was, of course, followed by the Dark Ages, in which society was at a low point. The course also talks about their beliefs in the fourteen major gods/goddesses (as well as thousands of minor gods/goddesses):

Zeus: king of the gods, god of lightning and thunder
Poseidon: god of the ocean and earthquakes
Hera: queen of the gods, goddess of marriage and family
Hestia: goddess of the hearth and fire
Hades: god of the dead and wealth
Dionysus: god of wine and parties
Demeter: goddess of wheat and farming
Athena: goddess of wisdom and the arts
Hephaestus: god of blacksmiths and fire 
Ares: god of war and blood
Aphrodite: goddess of love and beauty
Hermes: god of thieves, travelers, and messengers
Apollo: god of poetry and archery
Artemis: goddess of hunting and archery

Thank you for coming to the latest School Stories (Where School Is ALWAYS In Session!) production, and I hope to see you again on tomorrow's FREE DAY!

No comments: