Friday, September 18, 2015

The Wednesday Wars REVIEW

Welcome to my blog and to my review of The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt!


My Summary

In The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt, Holling Hoodhood, the main character, starts seventh grade at Camillo Junior High, and then believes that one of his teachers, Mrs. Baker, is out to get him. All of this is in 1967, with the Vietnam War raging, so everyone has bigger things to worry about, such as his family's business, Hoodhood and Associates, which means he has to be on his best behavior at all times, as well as get along with every single person in the town.

In the book, he ruins a batch of cream puffs with chalk dust, saves his sister from getting hit by a school bus, challenges his father's authority over his and his sister's actions, reads Shakespeare's plays Much Ado About Nothing, The Tempest, The Merchant of Venice, and Romeo And Juliet, and even gets a jacket signed and worn by Joe Pepitone, a famous Yankees baseball player.

My Opinions on The Wednesday Wars

I did not particularly love The Wednesday Wars, but that's not to say that it is a terrible book either. It is funny at times, but at other times, not so much. I think that this book aids readers in understanding  the sequel, Okay For Now, also by Gary D. Schmidt. I think it helps to show the important values of friendship, kindness, literature, and not judging based on first impressions as well.

I hope you enjoyed my first book review on School Stories (Where School Is ALWAYS In Session!), and hope you will join us next week!

No comments: