Thursday, September 17, 2015

Dino Paleobiology

Hello, and welcome to my blog yet again!



I forgot to post a joke yesterday, so here are two to make up for it:


1. Where does the army keep its fish?

In a tank!

2. A pig fell in a meat grinder. It brought out the wurst in him.



Anyway, today is my day to tell you all about my Dino Paleobiology course that I am taking. It is from the University Of Alberta, which is in Canada, but the lectures and quizzes are on https://www.coursera.org/. So far, I have covered Lesson 1: Appearance and Anatomy, Lesson 2: Death and Fossilization, Lesson 3: Eating, Lesson 4: Moving Around, and Lesson 5: Birth, Growth and Reproduction

At first I considered it boring and super hard, but now it is both fun and boring, as well as not super hard. Before I started this course, my favorite dinosaur was by far the Tyrannosaurus rex, or "tyrant lizard king" in Latin, but now the T. rex is being rivaled as my favorite dinosaur by the Giganotosaurus, or "giant southern lizard" in Latin. 

This course has not yet yielded any surprises that I did not know, but it may, you never know! I do think that paleontologists will make a big discovery, such as a new dinosaur or something that yields much more knowledge about the prehistoric world, in the future. On the other hand, I haven't the faintest idea when this amazing discovery will occur, or where either. I do think that being a paleontologist would be an exciting career for some people, but it would not be for me due to the fact that I would rather deal with living animals.

Soon I will be going on a field trip to the Paleontological Research Institution at the Museum of the Earth in Ithaca, NY. I will tell you all about it the Wednesday after the trip. Until tomorrow, see you, readers!

No comments: